To change the data type of a cell (or region):
- Right click > Format Cells…
- Select the category and type for the data type (ie – catergory Date and type dd/mm/yyyy)
Cells with Numbers
There are shortcuts on the toolbar that may help you save time:
- For decimal numbers use the rounding buttons
- For percentages use the percent button
Cells with Dates
Sometimes when copying dates they appear as numbers (ie – 40179). The reason for this is at copy time the cell has been set to display data as a number and not a date. To correct simply change the data type to Date (explained above).
Cells with Text
Cells that contain text have different behaviour to those that contain numbers:
They automatically overlap empty adjacent cells to the right (the text belongs to cell in the J column below).
If the adjacent cells to the right contain text it doesn’t overlap and shrinks out of view.
There are two ways to correct this:
1. Double click the column divider to “Fit column to size”.
2. Format the cell to “Wrap Text”. Rick click > Format Cell… > Alignment (tab) > Wrap Text
It should now appear in the J column as should below: