In this Article
This tutorial will demonstrate how to show the time in minutes and seconds in Excel and Google Sheets
Show Time in Minutes and Seconds in Excel
To format a range of cells that are displayed in time format to show just minutes and seconds, you need to create a custom format for the range.
- Highlight the cells you wish to format eg: D3:D10.
- In the Ribbon, select Home > Number and then click on the little arrow on the right-hand side of the number group.
- The Format Cells dialog box will be shown.
- Click on Custom at the bottom of the list, and then type mm:ss into the custom format text box.
- Click OK.
TEXT Function in Excel
You can also format a range of cells to just show the minutes and seconds using the TEXT Function.
- Click in C3.
- Type the formula shown above.
- Copy the formula down to C10.
Show Time in Minutes and Seconds in Google Sheets
Showing minutes and seconds from a time value in Google sheets is similar to Excel.
- Highlight the range you wish to format eg: D2:D10.
- From the menu, select Format > Number > More Formats > More date and time formats.
- Delete the 3 formats shown by clicking on each format and selecting Delete.
- Scroll down the list and find a format with minutes and seconds.
- Click on that format to add it to the bar at the top of the custom box.
- Delete the Hour format from the custom format.
- Click Apply to apply the formatting to your worksheet.
TEXT Function in Google Sheets
The Text function in Google sheets works the same as it does in Excel.