In this article, you will learn how to change the cell border color in Excel and Google Sheets.
Change Gridline Color
1. To change the gridline color, in the Ribbon, click on File > Options.
2. The Excel Options window will appear. In the menu, (1) click on Advanced, then scroll to the Display options for this worksheet. Under this section, (2) click on the icon next to the Gridline color and then (3) choose the wanted color for the gridline. When done, (4) click on the OK button.
Now the gridline color is changed to blue, as you can see below.
For more options related to gridline display, see What Are Gridlines?
Change Cell Border Color – Format Cells
Say you have a list of the data range (in this example, B2:D5) with a border around it. To change the border color (in this example, from black to orange), follow these steps:
1. First, (1) select the cells whose border colors you want to change, then in the Ribbon (2) go to Home, in the Font group (3) click on the Borders button and from the drop-down menu (4) choose More Borders.
2. The Format Cells window will appear. To choose the color of the border, (1) click on the arrow next to the Color button, (2) select the color, and then in the preview diagram (3) click on the parts of the border whose color you want to change. When done, (4) click the OK button.
As a result, the border color is changed.
Change Cell Border Color – Border Command
1. In the Ribbon (1) go to Home and in the Font group, click on (2) Borders button. In the drop-down menu, (3) click on Line Color, then (4) select the wanted color for the border.
2. The cursor will change to a pencil. With it, just click on the part of the border whose color you want to change.
As a result of the steps above, the color of the border is changed.
NOTE: You can also use VBA code to set cell border color.
Change Cell Border Color in Google Sheets
1. To change the color of the border in Google Sheets, first select the cells with borders whose color you want to change.
2. Then in the Toolbar, click on the Borders button.
3. In the menu, click on the Change Color button.
4. Then select the color.
5. To finish, click on the border style for the cell whose color you are changing.
As a result of this, the color of the border is changed.
Unfortunately, there is no option to change the default color of the gridlines in Google Sheets.