This tutorial will demonstrate how to highlight blank cells using Conditional Formatting in Excel and Google Sheets.
Highlight Blank Cells
- Select the range you want to apply formatting to.
- In the Ribbon, select Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule.
- Select Use a formula to determine which cells to format, and enter the formula:
- Click on the Format button and select your desired formatting.
- Click OK, then OK again to return to the Conditional Formatting Rules Manager.
- Click Apply to apply the formatting to your selected range, then Close.
Now blank cells are formatted as specified (blue fill color).
Highlight Blank Cells – Google Sheets
The process to highlight cells based on the value contained in that cell in Google Sheets is similar to the process in Excel.
- Highlight the cells you wish to format, and then click on Format, Conditional Formatting.
- The Apply to Range section will already be filled in.
- From the Format Rules section, select Custom Formula.
- Select the fill style for the cells that meet the criteria.
- Click Done to apply the rule.