This tutorial will demonstrate how to add bullet points in Excel and Google Sheets.
Insert Bullets into Excel Using the Alt Key Shortcut
Excel has a few options for inserting bullet points. The first is to use a shortcut.
1. Position your cell pointer where you want the bullet to go.
2. Hold down the Alt key, then press 7 (ALT + 7).
3. Press the space bar and then type in the remainder of your text.
Insert Bullets into Excel Using Symbols
You can also insert a bullet via the Symbols feature.
1. In the Ribbon, select Insert > Symbols > Symbol.
2. The Symbol box will appear. You can resize the box if you want to see more symbols by dragging the bottom right-hand corner of the box.
3. With the Font on (normal text), use the drop down list on the right to change the subset from Basic Latin to General Punctuation.
4. Select the Bullet and click Insert.
5. Click Close to close the Symbol box.
6. Click to the right of the inserted bullet in the selected cell, and type the text required.
7. Repeat for each bulleted entry required.
Inserting Bullets Using an Excel Function
We can also insert bullet points into Excel by using the Excel CHAR function.
1. Select the cell you wish to insert your bulleted text into and type in the CHAR function with the relevant number required (149 for a bullet point).
2. Close the bracket and use the ampersand to concatenate the required text.
Inserting Bullets into Google Sheets
Inserting a Bullet Using the Alt Code
Google Sheets has the same Alt codes as Excel.
1. To insert a bullet point in Google Sheets, select the cell where the bullet needs to be placed.
2. Press F2 to enter Edit mode.
3. Press ALT + 7 to enter a bullet into the cell.
4. Type the rest of the text into the cell.
Inserting Bullets Using Special Characters
Google Sheets does not have a symbol function. Google Documents, however, does. If you wish to insert symbols such as bullets into Google Sheets, you need to open a Google document and copy and paste from that document into the Google sheet.
1. In the File menu, select New > Document.
A new tab will open in the browser showing a new Google document.
2. From the Insert Menu, select Special characters.
We are able to select a variety of categories in the left drop down box such as Symbol, Emoji, Punctuation etc.
3. Select Symbol in the left hand drop down box, then select Geometric Shapes in the right hand box.
4. Click on the Small Circle symbol to insert the symbol into the Google document.
5. Click the close button to close the Special Characters box.
6. Highlight the symbol with your mouse and then press CTRL + C to copy the symbol.
7. Switch back to the Google sheet and press CTRL + V to paste the symbol.