This tutorial demonstrates how to clear the contents of multiple cells at once in Excel and Google Sheets.
Clear Cell Contents
- To delete only values from Row 4 (range B4:E4), first select the range to clear (B4:E4).
- Then in the Ribbon, go to Home > Clear > Clear All (or use keyboard shortcuts).
As a result, cells in Row 4 are now cleared, without shifting, so all other cells are unchanged.
- You can also use VBA code to clear cell contents.
- See Excel Shortcut to Display Insert or Delete Dialog Box.
Clear Contents in Google Sheets
To clear cell contents without shifting in Google Sheets, follow these steps:
- Select the data range you want to clear (B4:E4), and in the Menu, go to Edit > Delete values.
In this case, cell content is deleted, but the formatting remains.
- To clear all formatting, select the same range (B4:E4), and in the Menu, go to Format > Clear formatting (or use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + \).
Now, all content and formatting are cleared from the selected range of cells.