This tutorial demonstrates how to filter by date in Excel and Google Sheets.
Apply Single Date Filter
- Click within your table of data and then, in the Ribbon, go to Home > Editing > Filter (or use the shortcut CTRL + SHIFT + L).
- Click on the filter button/arrow in the date field header. Notice that the filter automatically groups dates.
- All available dates are checked and included. Click the (Select All) checkbox to clear all date values from the filter.
- Now, you can expand any years to show months within each year by clicking on the expand (+) sign next to each year. Once expanded, the year has a collapse (–) sign instead.
- Each month also has a plus sign next to it, indicating that you can drill down even further to show individual dates.
- Tick an individual day, and then click OK to filter by that date.
Clear Date Filter
- To show all the records again, click either Clear Filter From “Transaction Date“ or (Select All), and then click OK.
- Or in the Ribbon, go to Home > Editing > Filter > Clear.
This clears any filters that are set in your table of data.
Apply Filter to Multiple Dates
- Click on the filter drop down in your date field, and then click Date Filters.
- You can now choose from a variety of preset filters. Click Last Month.
You now see only the records that have a date within the last month.
- Clear the filter, and then go to Date Filters > Between… (where in Step 2, you clicked Last Month).
- Set start and end dates, and then click OK.
The filter displays rows with dates between 07/04/2022 and 07/30/2022 and hides the rest.
Tip: Want to filter by multiple fields? You’re not restricted from filtering any other column once you’ve applied a date filter.
Filter by Date in Google Sheets
The process is slightly different to filter by date in Google Sheets.
- To apply a filter, in the Menu, go to Data > Create a filter.
- When you click the filter button next to your date field, note that each individual date is listed. Click Clear to remove the checkmarks for each individual date.
- Then tick an individual date and click OK.
- You can also filter by condition. Click Select all to remove the filter, and then go to Filter by condition > Date is.
- Click in the past month, and then click OK to apply the filter.