This tutorial demonstrates how to apply multiple filters to columns in Excel and Google Sheets.
Apply Multiple Filters to Columns
To filter data first by month (display on Feb-21), and then by total sales (> $400), follow these steps:
- To display filter buttons in the column headings, select any cell in the data range (e.g., B2:G16), and in the Ribbon, go to Home > Sort & Filter > Filter.
Now every column heading has a filter button and can be used to filter the table data.
- Click on the filter button for month (cell D2), check only February (uncheck January), and click OK. The filter functionality recognizes dates and groups them by year and month.
As a result of Step 2, all rows containing Jan-21 in Column D are filtered out, and only those with Feb-21 are displayed. Note that the appearance of the filter button for month (D2) is different, so it’s clear the range is filtered by month.
- Now you can filter data by another column. Click on the filter button for total sales (G2), go to Number Filters > Greater Than…
Note that you could also choose Equals, Does Not Equal, Less Than, etc.
- In the pop-up window, enter the lower limit (in this case, $400) and click OK. Here you could also add more conditions or change the operator.
The final result is the original data range filtered by month (Feb-21) and by total sales (> $400).
Apply Multiple Filters in Google Sheets
- To create filter buttons, select any cell in the data range (B2:G16) and in the Menu, go to Data > Create a filter.
- Click on the filter button for month (D2),choose only Feb-21 (uncheck Jan-21), and click OK.
Now the data range is filtered by month, and only rows with Feb-21 are displayed while all other rows are hidden. Also, the filter button has a new appearance, so it’s clear there is an active filter on month.
- Click on the filter button for total sales (G2), go to Filter by condition > Greater than.
As in Excel, you could alternatively choose Less than, Equal, etc.
- In the text box that appears under the Greater than condition, enter a lower limit (400), and click OK.
Finally, rows containing Feb-21 in Column D with a sales value greater than $400 are displayed, and other rows are hidden.