This tutorial demonstrates how to insert an arrow in Excel and Google Sheets.
Insert Arrow as Symbol
To type an arrow in a cell, you can insert it from the symbol map.
- First, select the cell where you want to insert an arrow. Then, in the Ribbon, go to Insert > Symbol.
- In the Symbol window, choose Arrows from the Subset drop down and choose an arrow symbol with the orientation you need. After that, click Insert and Cancel.
As a result, the arrow symbol is in the selected cell.
Insert Arrow as Shape
You can also insert an arrow as a shape.
- In the Ribbon, go to Insert > Shapes > Lines.
- Then click and drag to draw the arrow where it’s needed.
As a result, the arrow is added to the sheet and appears in cell D2.
Note: To draw your arrow freehand then convert it to a shape, see How to Create a Shape With Drawing Tools.
Insert Arrow in Google Sheets
You can insert an arrow in Google Sheets as an arrow drawing.
- First, select the cell where you want to add an arrow. In the Menu, go to Insert, and from the drop down, choose Drawing.
- In the Drawing window, click the Shapes icon, then click Arrows and choose the arrow type you want.
- Click and drag to draw the arrow, then click Save and Close.
- Now the arrow is added to the spreadsheet. To move it, select the arrow and use the hand cursor to place it where you want.
As a result, the arrow appears in the cell.