This tutorial demonstrates how to write text vertically in Excel and Google Sheets.
Say you have text you want to write vertically (in this example: Excel) using the orientation option in Excel.
- Select the cell with text you want to write vertically.
- Then in the Ribbon, go to Home.
- In the Alignment group, click the orientation icon.
- From the drop-down list, choose Vertical Text.
This changes the text orientation to vertical.
Another way you can achieve vertical writing in Excel is to use WordArt.
- In the Ribbon, (1) go to Insert, (2) click on the WordArt icon and (3) choose the text style.
- After that, type the text into the box.
- To change the orientation of the text, right-click on the box with text and from the drop-down list, choose Format Shape…
- In the Format Shape dialog box (1) click on Text Options, then (2) the textbox icon. (3) Click on the box next toText direction, and from the drop-down list, (4) select Stacked.
As a result, the text is displayed vertically.
You can also choose the option to rotate all text 90° to achieve the effect of vertical text.
Or you can select the option to rotate all text 270°.
Write Vertically in Google Sheets
In Google Sheets, you can write vertically using the text rotation feature.
- Select the cell with text you want written vertically.
- Then in the Toolbar click on the Text Rotation icon.
- Choose Stack Vertically.
This changes the orientation of the selected text to vertical.