Convert Spreadsheet to Delimited Text File – Excel & Google Sheets
In this tutorial, you will learn how to convert a spreadsheet to a delimited text file from Excel or Google Sheets.
Convert Spreadsheet to Delimited TXT
To convert a spreadsheet to a text file, first open it in Excel. The following example will show how to save the table below as text without losing the column separators.
1. To save as a text file, from the Ribbon, go to File > Save As.
2. Choose document type Text (Tab delimited (*.txt).
3. Then press Save.
As a result, a text (tab-delimited) file is saved in the location you specified with all columns separated by a tabulator. When you open the file in a text editor (such as Notepad), it looks like the picture below.
Convert an Excel File to a Comma-Delimited CSV File
You can also convert a spreadsheet to a comma-delimited text file in a similar way.
1. In the Ribbon, go to File > Save As.
2. Choose document type CSV (Comma delimited (*.csv).
3. Then press Save.
Now, all columns in the CSV file are separated by a comma. When you open the file in a text editor (such as Notepad), it looks like the picture below.
Note: From the text editor, the CSV file can be saved as a text (.txt) file if necessary.
Convert a Google Sheets File to a Delimited TXT File
There are two steps to convert a Google Sheets spreadsheet to a tab delimited file:
- Save a sheet as a Tab-separated values (.tsv) file.
- Save that file as a tab delimited (.txt) file.
In the Menu, go to File > Download > Tab-separated values (.tsv, current sheet).
As a result, you get a TSV file that save as a text file. Open the TSV file in a text editor (such as Notepad) and save it with the .txt file extension.
1. To do this, go to File > Save As (or use the keyboard shortcut F12).
2. In the pop-up window, (1) set the document type to Text Documents (*.txt), and (2) click Save.
The final output is the text file with the tabular delimiter.
Convert a Google Sheets File to a Comma-Delimited (.csv) File
To convert a Google Sheets file to a comma-delimited file, go to File > Download > Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet).