Remove a Password From a File in Excel
This tutorial shows how to remove a password from a file in Excel.
Remove a Password From a File
A password from an Excel file can be removed in several ways. To remove a password by using Info settings, follow these steps:
- Open a file and enter the password, then click OK.
- In the Ribbon, (1) go to File > Info, (2) click Protect Workbook, and (3) Encrypt with Password.
- In the pop-up window, delete the password and click OK.
Now, the file is no longer protected with a password and can be edited by anyone who opens it.
Remove Password During Save
The second option to remove a password is to remove it during the saving of the file.
- In the Ribbon, go to File > Save As.
- In the save window, click More options…
- In the bottom right part of the browser window, click Tools > General Options.
- Finally, in the General Options pop-up, delete the password(s) to open and/or modify, and click OK.
The file is now unlocked, and the password is removed. Once you save the file, it can be opened without a password the next time.