How to Insert a Page Number in Excel & Google Sheets
This tutorial will demonstrate how to insert page numbers in Excel and Google Sheets.
When you need to print an Excel worksheet or workbook, it will often be a worksheet or workbook of multiple pages. In order to easily determine the order of these pages, you can insert page numbering into the header or footer of the printout.
Inserting Page Numbers Into a Single Worksheet
With the worksheet we want to insert the page numbers into selected, in the Ribbon, select Page Layout > Page Setup and then select the little arrow in the bottom right hand corner of the group to go into the Page Setup dialog box.
Inserting a Page Number as a Header
1. Select the Header/Footer tab and then from the Header drop-down box, select Page 1.
2. Click OK to insert the header into the selected worksheet.
3. To view the header, in the Ribbon, select File > Print. For a multiple-page worksheet, you can click on the navigation buttons at the bottom of the preview to see the next page and its page number.
Inserting a Page Number as a Footer
An alternative to inserting a header page number is to insert a footer page number.
1. Select the Header/Footer tab of the Page Setup dialog box once again, and then select (none) from the Header drop-down list.
2. Then, in the Footer drop-down list, select Page 1 of ?.
3. To view the footer, in the Ribbon, select File > Print.
Inserting Page Numbers Into Multiple Worksheets
Inserting a page number into multiple worksheets can be done in the same way as it is done when inserting a page number into a single worksheet, as long as the worksheets required are grouped together.
1. To select the required worksheets, click on the tab of the first worksheet required.
2. Then, holding down the CTRL key on the keyboard, click on the tab of the second worksheet required. This groups the non-adjacent worksheets.
3. To group adjacent worksheets, click on the first sheet tab, and then hold the SHIFT key down and click on the last sheet tab for the required group of sheets.
When worksheets are grouped together, the title bar of Excel will tell us that there is a group of sheets.
4. You can now insert a page number as a header or footer using the Page Setup option as described above.
Inserting a Page Number using Page Layout View
1. In the Ribbon, select View > Workbook Views > Page Layout.
2. Click in the Add header section of the worksheet.
3. A new tab on the Ribbon will appear called Header & Footer. In this tab, select Header & Footer Elements > Page Number.
4. A special code will be added into the header section of the worksheet. This code represents the page number.
5. In the Ribbon, select View > Worksheet Views > Normal View to return to the normal worksheet view.
How to Insert a Page Number in Google Sheets
In Google sheets, inserting page numbers are added from within the Print settings.
1. In the Menu, select File > Print.
2. In the Print settings on the right hand side of the screen, select the drop-down box to the right of Headers & Footers.
3. Select Page Numbers to insert a page number automatically into the right-hand side of the footer.
4. A page number will automatically be inserted into the footer of the Google sheet. To edit the placement of the page number, click EDIT CUSTOM FIELDS.
5. Click in the Footer on the right hand side of the Google Sheet, and highlight the code to delete it to remove the Footer.
6. In the header header click in the central “Click to add text” box and then select the required page number format from the Page Number drop-down list.
7. Once the page number is inserted, click on the Confirm box in the top right-hand corner of the Google sheet.
The page number will be shown in the header of the Google sheet.
8. Click Next to send the Google sheet to the printer.
NOTE: If you click Cancel, the header will be removed or will revert to the previous header.