This tutorial demonstrates how to save a macro-enabled workbook in Excel and Google Sheets.
Save a Macro-Enabled Workbook (.xlsm)
Note that this isn’t necessary with the old Excel type (.xls); it’s already macro-enabled.
Record a Macro
Macros can help you to reduce repetitive work in Excel by recording a set of actions and repeating them by running the macro. To record a macro, follow these steps:
- In the Ribbon, go to View > Macros > Record Macro.
- In the Record Macro window, enter a macro name and a shortcut key, then click OK.
- Make changes in the sheet that should be performed by the macro (change in fonts, colors, sizes, etc.)
- In the Ribbon, go to View > Macros > Stop Recording.
Save a File With the .xlsm Extension
Now save the file as macro-enabled to be able to use the recorded macro later.
- In the Ribbon, go to File > Save As.
- In the save window, choose file type Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm), and click Save.