In this tutorial, you will learn how to print a background image in Excel.
Insert a Background Image as a Shape
If you want to insert a printable background picture in Excel, you should use shapes and insert a background image in a shape. In order to this, we need to follow these steps:
1. In the Ribbon, go to Insert > Shapes > Rectangle.
2. Now we can draw a shape and position it over our data table. We get the rectangle shape filled in blue by default.
3. Now we need to insert a picture to replace the blue color fill. To do this, select the shape. Then in the Format Picture window, choose Picture or texture fill and click Insert.
Note that, if the Format Picture window does not open automatically, it can be opened by right-clicking on the shape and selecting Format Shape…
4. In the pop-up window, choose From a File to insert a picture from our computer.
5. In the browse window, select a picture and click Insert.
6. The selected picture is now shown in the shape. In the Format Picture window, set Transparency to 75%, so we can see our data in the picture. Increase or decrease the transparency to get the desired look.
Background Image Size
To resize the image so it prints on the whole page, go to Size in the Format Picture window, and adjust the Height and Width.
Now the background image is spread across the whole page, and if we go to File > Print (or use the shortcut CTRL+P), we will see in Print Preview that the entire page has the background picture we inserted.