This tutorial will demonstrate how to do a random sort in Excel and Google Sheets.
- To the right of the column of data to be randomized, click in the first cell and type in the RAND Function.
- Drag the excel handle in the bottom right-hand corner of the cell down to the last cell in the range.
- Release the mouse to copy the RAND Function down.
- With the range still selected, in the Ribbon, select Home > Editing > Sort & Filter > Sort Smallest to Largest.
- A warning box will pop up. Accept the suggestion Expand the selection and click Sort.
- The list of numbers to the left of the random numbers will now be randomly sorted.
- Now remove the “RAND()” helper column from the worksheet.
Random Sort in Google Sheets
Google Sheets has a built-in Randomize feature you can use to randomly sort data.
- Select the data that needs to be randomized.
- In the Ribbon, select Data > Randomize range.
The data will automatically be randomly sorted.